Best Linear Unbiased Prediction more commony referred to as BLUP is one of the factors that decides a foals genetic potential. BLUP is measured on a -100 to 100 scale, with 100 being the most desirable. To get the best foals you need to breed two horses with high genetic potential (GP) and 100 BLUP. To get a horse to 100 BLUP you will need to fufil the requirements below.
- The top three skills for the horse are bolded (maxed)
- All rides complete
- All training complete
- Races no longer give skills
- Over 10 years of Age
- The horse has won 20+ races
This can be more difficult to do than it seems although with a good guide (which can be provided on the howrse site) it can be completed by 10-12 years of age.
BLUP affect foals in the following way:
- Negative BLUP makes it more likely that the foal will have LESS genGP than the parents
- Neutral BLUP makes it more likely that the foal will have a GP equal to the parent
- Positive BLUP makes it more likely that the foal will have a GP greater than the parents
You can check the current BLUP of your horse on the Genetic tab found below the horse's image.